This week has been one rough week for me. Its just been one thing after another, each day something has happened. Today has been the worst.
The morning I was on my way into my clinical. The sun wasn’t up. I didn’t sleep. Then there is everything else that happened this week. I said a prayer about one of the biggest things that happened this week. I just told God “I trust you” “its up to you now” “your plan is better then anything I can come up with” “So here is it Lord, I give it up” and in that moment- I could feel God literally taking that off my shoulders. talk about an amazing moment. (WOW!) I stopped mid-prayer and said “Alright, I felt you take that one, that was pretty awesome”.
Well from there I was hoping to have a good day – I didn’t.
So as I lay in bed – unable to sleep again- I realize how much anger I have today and this week. toward many people in my life.
So I just pulled out my bible and thought of that really cool thing in the back where you can look up a “problem” and go to verses that related to that topic.
So that’s how we end up with Anger tonight.
The first one that is says to read is Psalms 4:4 ” Tremble and do not sin. When you are in bed look deep down inside yourself and be silent.”
Look deep inside myself. Be silent.
Anger doesn’t need to define me- I don’t want it to define me! I don’t want the anger – I want happy. It doesn’t matter what others think of me. In the end the opinion that I really care about is Jesus.
One verse and I feel better already – but we have a few more.
I unfortunately have held on to a lot of anger over the years and its one thing that has caused a lot of anxiety and depression in my life. I’m sure many of you do as well. So lets finish this Anger reading and see if we can get rid of some of that.
Number 2 Proverbs 16:32 It is better to be patient than to fight. It is better to control your temper than to take a city.
be patient- do not fight.
How hard is that! someone says something, it makes you angry and you want to defend yourself! I am so guilty of this! Someone says something that isn’t true and you just want to fight, get defensive, tell them they are wrong. God is telling us to be patient. take those extra 10 seconds. think about what you are going to say. don’t just rush into something and say something you may regret years, months, weeks, days, hours, or minutes later. be patient with the person you are talking to – help them to understand your side of the story. and then be patient as they explain their side of the story. Anger gets us no where.
Last one. Matthew 5: 21-26 – this is titled Murder
21. you have heard what was said to people who lived long ago ‘Do not commit murder. anyone who murders will be judged for it.’ 22. But here is what i tell you. Do not be angry with a brother or sister. Anyone who is angry with them will be judged. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, “Raca,” [Raca comes from he Arabic word reqa, which means empty head – or stupid]* must stand trial in court. And anyone who says “you fool” will be endanger of the fire in hell.
23. Suppose you are offering your gift at the altar. And you remember that your brother or sister has something against you. 24. Leave your gift in front of the alter. First go and make peace with them. Then come back and offer your gift. (WOW! – I will come back to this!!!)
25. Suppose someone has a claim against you and is taking you to court. Settle the matter quick . Do this while you are still together on the way. If you don’t, you may be handed over to the judge. The judge may hang you over to the officer to be thrown in prison. 26. What I am about to tell you is true. You will not get out until you have paid the very last penny!
- do you see how anger is being compared to murder – how heart breaking is that! I found a quote once – and it is one i refer to often (but not often enough) It is from Mitch Albom – one of my favorite authors!!! “Holding anger is a poison.. it eats you from the inside…We think that by hating someone we hurt them…But hatred is a curved blade.. and the harm we do to others we do to ourselves” – how powerful is that!! It is so true- the anger I have held on to hurts me so much more than it hurts anyone else! it rips me apart- but we need to put an end to that.
- okay this next section – LEAVE YOUR GIFT! – leave what ever it is that you have and go make amends – this is something that I need to do- badly. think of this – is what you fought about going to matter next year? if the answer is no – like mine is- then put down your pride your ego and go make amends. I’ve heard that EGO stands for Edging. God. Out – Don’t let your ego get in the way – God is more important. God doesn’t want us arguing with our brothers and sisters. Go put it in the past.
- handling a problem between you and the other person is going to be a lot easier than it is to get someone else involved – because then basically you get them angry at one or both you – which isn’t fair either.
Quotes for thought
“Anger is one letter short of Danger”
“Anger is your biggest enemy. Control it”
Here is the big one!
“When you are mad at someone you love, be careful what you say because your mind gets angry but your heart still cares”
find your peace