I think reading the bible can be very intimidating. I’ve started reading it in about 4 different spots: Genesis, Psalms, John, Matthew. I never follow through with doing it. I read for about a week and I end up quitting and going back a few weeks later and try to pick up again.
So I was at a rough spot a few days ago and started with anger. This is reading the bible by topic. Which I think is the best way to read the bible. We read these scriptures and then we find a way that those scriptures that relate to us.
I’ve always been a people person. My mom likes to remind me that when I was in Kindergarten I was running off at the fall festival with my best friend running the show.
After that I never had a problem with having friends. I always had friends. The problem was, I never kept those friends for very long. I had a few close friends for a few years and then I was in a new group of friends. I only have one friend from elementary school that I still talk to on a regular basis.
Even now in my senior year of college my group of friends have changed so much, freshman year there were 8 of us girls and about 6 guys that were inseparable. Sophomore year our group got a little smaller. Junior year that group was very much split up. Junior year is when I was really in my nursing program – I was with people that I was going to spend the next 5 semesters with and I was excited about these people.
I got a lot closer with these people. and now they are the most amazing people in the world to me. They are my best friends. There have been other friends that have come into my life. but right now I can say I have 3 really close girlfriends that i really believe they will be the ones that will be by my side for the rest of my life. They are all amazing in their own ways.
One is my roommate- my constant pick me up – the one who can read me pretty much better than anyone else- She has the biggest kindest heart. And she is always my McDonald’s buddy!
One who I traveled the world with- the one who i cried with many nights 1700 miles away from home for two weeks. God brought my this amazing woman and our relationship is centered around christ and it is so special.
One who I could never remember her name and now I will never forget her name again. Another one who was brought to me through Christ. One who gets me to try new things like a Zumba class and make me realize I really am out of shape!!
And all those years of friendships that I no longer have any connection to doesn’t matter anymore because God got me to this place in life that I now have better friends than I can ever imagine. Friends that I do not deserve most days. Friends that make me feel so special and I know how special they are.
now lets see what the bible says about friendship.
9.Two people are better than one. They can help each other in everything they do. 10. Suppose either of them falls down. Then the one can help the other one up. But suppose a person falls down and doesn’t have anyone to help them up. Then feel sorry for that person! 11. Or suppose two people lie down together. Then they’ll keep warm. But how can one person keep warm alone? 12. One person could be overpowered. But two people can stand up for themselves. And a rope made out of three cords isn’t easily broken.
John 14:23- 15:17
23. Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them. We will come to them and make our home with them. 24. Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching.The words you hear me say are not my words. They belong to the Father that sent me.
25. “I have spoken all these things while I am still with you. 26. But the Father will send the Friend in my name to help you. The Friend in the Holy Spirit. He will teach you all things. He will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27. I leave my peace with you. I give my peace to you. I do not give it to you as the world does. Do not let your hearts be troubled. And do not be afraid.
28. “You heard me say, ‘I am going away. and I am coming back to you’. If you loved me you would be glad I am going to the Father. The Father that is greater than I am. 29. I have told you now before it happens. Then when it does happen, you will believe. 30 I will not say much more to you. the prince of this world is coming. He has no power over me. 31. but he comes so that the world may learn that I love the Father. they must also learn that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me to do. “Come now. Let us leave.”
John 15 The vine and the Branches
1. I am the true vine. My Father is the gardener. 2. He cuts off every branch joined to be that does not bear fruit. He trims every branch that does bear fruit. Then it will bear even more fruit. 3. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4. Remain joined to me, just as I also remain joined to you. No branch can bear fruit by itself. It must remain joined to the vine. In the same way you can’t bear fruit unless you are joined to me.
5. I am the vine. You are the branches. If you remain joined to me, and I to you, you will bear a lot of fruit. You can’t do anything without me. 6. If you don’t remain joined to me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and dries up. Branches like those are picked up. They are thrown into the fire and burned. 7. If you remain joined to me and my words remain in you, ask for anything you wish. and It will be done for you. 8. When you bear a lot of fruit, it brings glory to my Father. It shows that you are my disciples.
9. Just has the Father has loved me. I have loved you. Now remain in my love. 10. If you obey my commands , you will remain in my love. In the same way, I have obeys my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11. I have told you this so that you will have the same joy that I have. I also want your joy to be complete. 12. here dismay command. Love one another, just as I have loved you. 13. no one has greater love than the one who gives their life for their friends. 14. you are my friends if you do what I command. 15. I do not call you slaves anymore. Slaves do not know their master’s business. Instead I have called you friends. I have told you everything I have learned from my Father. 16. You did not chose me. Instead I chose you. I appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit that will last. I also appointed you so that the Father will give you what you ask for. He will give you what you as for in my name. 17. Here is my command. Love one another.
Love one another – This is such a simple yet challenging command. There are some people in this world that are so easy to love. Yet, there are others that are so difficult to love. but our Father, wants us to love. So we need to LOVE!
12. You are God’s chosen people. You are holy and dearly loved. So put on tender mercy and kindness as if they were your clothes. Don’t be proud. Be gentle and patient. 13. Put up with one another. Forgive one another if you are holding something against someone. Forgive, just as the Lord has forgave you. 14. And over all these things put on love. Love holds them all together perfectly as if they were one.
15. Let the peace that Christ gives rule in your hearts. As parts of one body, you were appointed to lie in peace. and be thankful. 16. Let the message about Christ live among you like a rich treasure. Teach and correct one another wisely. Teach one another by singing palms and hymns and songs from the spirit. Sing to God with thanks in your heart. 17. Do everything you say or do in the name of the Lord Jesus. Always give thanks to God the father through Christ.
put up with one another – Even when we have different opinions – we need to put up with one another – respectfully not violently. God knows we do not all have the same opinions but he wants us to all get a long despite our differences.
Let the message of Christ love among you like a rich treasure – the love of God is in all of us. However, not all of us treasure it the way that we should- or the way that God wants us to. So take that love, cherish it. Wear it with pride on your sleeve. Be proud.
Sing to God with thanks in your heart. – This is my favorite way to talk to God- singing to him- listening to worship songs they are calming – some of them have an upbeat beat- some of them have a slower beat- but the words are what calms you- compare it to the pop songs that are on even if you don’t sing a long or really pay attention to what is being said – just the tone of the songs can calm me down on a drive- or while I am doing chores around the house.
Take time today to be thankful for friendship – take time to be kind to those who have different views from you- Show the love of Christ through your love!!
Praying for a good week for myself and for you!